Monday, March 8, 2010

My, How Time Flies...

I cannot believe that Pierce has been a part of our family for one month already! Yesterday, March 7th marked his one month birthday. He is a miracle - and I am continually in awe of this little man! As I write this, he is sitting in my lap, in a sling, doing everything in his power to spit out his paci.... this inevitably leads to blood curdling screaming, so I do not know why he is so persistent in getting rid of it (I keep telling him to be careful or Daddy will make good on his threat to duct tape the thing to his face.... Pierce seems un-phased at the threat)

Since I never got around to posting anything during the first four weeks of his life I am going to take this opportunity to do a quick recap. There were so many things that happened, big and small, I would never be able to share everything... but I will try to hit the highlights :)

Week One: Feb 7th - 14th - This was a big week. Pierce was born Sunday, Feb 7th at 7:16 p.m. Due to a surprise C-Section we stayed in the hospital till Wednesday and were blessed with ENDLESS visitors. It was HUMBLING to know that so many people cared. From my Berry girls, to Loganville Friends, to family members and Waffle House co-workers, there was a constant string of people eager to meet Pierce and check in on me and Brandon. I could never convey how much this meant to me.
Coming home was traumatic (just since we were leaving the comfort of the hospital and that nurse call button) but we made it! Pierce's weight caused a little bit of worry in the doctor so we spent the next few days doing everything we could to bulk him up (protein shakes, some light weight lifting.. you know - the norm). Once home, we had more visitors and LOTS of food sent our way! I learned that I would be doing a lot of couch sitting, so needless to say I watched a lot of post game coverage of the Super Bowl.
Friday night was the biggest TV night with the opening ceremony of the 21st Olympics in Vancouver. If you know me, you know I love the Olympics so the thought of being able to watch all of the coverage was THRILLING. Friday also brought another exciting event - SNOW! Crazy amounts of snow... it was beautiful. Mamaw and Papaw (B's parents) came to visit for the weekend and offered TONS of help! The first week was a blur of feeding, sleeping, and trying to figure out what on earth we were doing.

Week Two: Feb 15th-21st - This week was another week of anxiously waiting our turn at the doctor. I felt like we were being tested. It is alot of pressure to know that you are the sole source of EVERYTHING for a child. I honestly felt if he did not gain weight that I was doing something wrong. Everything at the appointment went well, but the Doc still wanted him to gain more....however there was no need to supplement with a bottle. I took that as a small victory. :) As was my prediction in Week One, I spent almost all of Week Two watching the Olympics. Shawn White is amazing... moguls scare me.. and I cried every time I saw the P&G commercials about being a mom. At this point the new highlight of my day is when the mail comes. That is my one chance to actually go outside with purpose (sad, huh..)

Week Three: Feb 22nd-28th- Ok, if Pierce isn't a future Olympian it is not for lack of research. He and I spent alllllll of Week Three watching the Olympics. It never got old.
Back to the doctor again this week and finally got the all clear! Piece weighed in at a whopping 8lbs 10oz... a full 3oz more than his birth weight!!!! THANK GOODNESS!
This was the first week that I started to get a little stir crazy. I made it to the gym once - but was VERY ready for this cold weather to GO AWAY!!!!!! Gammy came over a few times to hang out and give me a break. I don't know who is happier on these days...me, since I have help - or Gammy since she gets to see Pierce :)

Week Four: March 1st-7th- Oh geeze - the first week without Gammy. That crazy lady WENT ON VACATION and left us here all alone!!! No need to fear, Auntie Del stepped in and did a great job helping out. I took the opportunity to get out of the house and actually made it to the gym a few more times (GLORIOUS). I also discovered that Pierce LOVES naked time. He is tickled pink when I let him go commando and play on the floormat...he stares at the toys..the TV...his beloved ceiling fan and makes the GREATEST faces. The week was awesome until Thursday. That is when I took a turn for the worst. Brandon stepped in to be Mr. Mom and took care of Pierce while I suffered in bed. Auntie Del stayed with us on Saturday and was a HUGE help. (A special shout out to Dr. Magill Fleming - she was a lifesaver) :) By the time Sunday rolled around I was well on my way to recovery.

Well, that is about it. I love being a mom. The best part is sitting with Pierce and listening to his noises... he makes some pretty freaking funny sounds. Many times I have accidentally woken him up because I laugh too loud at them. :0 Things have not been perfect - I am tired and spend alot of time worrying and wondering if we are doing this right... but all it takes is one look at that little face and everything is good with the world again. (BTW - don't worry folks...the rest of the blogs will NOT be this long..) :)

4 comments:

  1. I would have it no other way but to be your first blog comment. You will find (if you are like me) that comments make what you do have a purpose. No pressure to entertain little ol' me though. Very excited about Pierce's blog. I can be kept in the loop now. :) ps. I think you are doing a fantastic job of being a mom. ...and those P&G commercials make me cry too. Shocker huh? ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! You have a blog!!!! You need to share it with everyone! Thanks for starting that, so that I can keep up with him, since he doesn't live right around the corner!!!! I'm so excited to hear that you all are doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the blog and the recap! Can't wait to keep up with our little man and the Wilson family! No worries about the 'Dr. Magill' advice. I wouldn't have survived my first few months with Sawyer without moms who had 'been there'. We've got to stick together! Love you! Cousins Graham and Sawyer send their best to Pierce. Can't wait to play soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree with Amy, you need to email everyone the blog address!!! I had to find it as I was stalking you on Facebook :) Will be so nice to keep up with you guys since I don't get to see you nearly often enough! Glad to hear things are going well!

    ReplyDelete